2 hr 20 min
- 1 ham hock, about 1/2-pound
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 16 oz. green butter beans
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus 4 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, or 1 small hot pepper
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16 oz. fresh corn kernels
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon chicken base
- 4 fresh tomatoes, cut into chunks
- Put ham hock in a stockpot and add the water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add seasoned salt to water as hock simmers.
- Add more water as needed (up to 2 more cups as the meat cooks).
- Add the butter beans, 2 tablespoons butter, and hot sauce and return the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, or until the beans are done.
- Remove butter beans and reserve liquid.
- In a skillet, saute bacon until crisp.
- Add corn, okra, and a small amount of liquid from the butter beans and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add parsley and chicken base; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add fresh tomatoes and remaining 4 tablespoons butter at the last minute.
- Simmer until tomatoes are heated through.